Mentor of the Year Awards 2014
The intramural scientific program of NICHD established two mentoring awards in 2008, to recognize individuals who have served as exceptional mentors to trainees in the institute. The awards are given annually, in late spring, to one investigator (tenured, tenure-track, staff clinician, or staff scientist) and to one fellow (postdoctoral, clinical, visiting, or research fellow).
The deadline for receipt of submissions is Monday, April 28, 2014.
Below are a fillable PDF nomination form and downloadable nomination criteria. Please contact Yvette Pittman with any questions.
- Downloadable nomination criteria: MentorOfTheYearCriteria2014.doc (.doc - 33KB)
- Nomination form: MentorNomination2014.pdf (PDF - 97KB)
- Nominations will be sought each year through e-mails to current trainees, fellows, and investigators in NICHD. Typically the nominator will be mentored by his or her nominee, but a colleague or supervisor may also propose someone for either of these two awards.
- A statement of support is required, not to exceed 500 words.
- Although there are no precise requirements, the statement may refer to:
- How the mentor has supported your development as a scientist and/or clinician
- What is outstanding about this individual, that goes beyond what is expected of all mentors
as well as:
the nature of communications with your mentor
how ideas and knowledge are shared
the environment in the lab or clinic
the balance between supervision and autonomy
how feedback is given
what opportunities to learn and advance professionally are provided.
Examples to illustrate points about the nominee are appreciated and will help to persuade the reviewers.
Nominations should be e-mailed, with the attached nomination form, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Due date: Monday, April 28, 2014
- Questions should be directed to Dr. Yvette Pittman in the Office of Education, DIR, NICHD
Review of Nominees
- Two representatives of the postbaccalaureate fellows in NICHD, a graduate student, and three fellows in the postdoctoral group, including one clinician, will evaluate all nominations. A member of the previous year’s committee will be asked to serve, to ensure continuity. The Director of the DIR’s Office of Education will serve ex officio.
- The Selection Committee will review each submission and work to achieve consensus on the winners. If several nominees are considered equally meritorious, the group may vote to finalize their selections.
- Awards will be made to winners in both the investigator and the fellow categories at a spring event held to honor graduating postbaccalaureate fellows, to which members of the intramural NICHD community will be invited. Finalists for the awards will be recognized at the event, at which the winner will be announced.
- Awards will include a certificate for the individual winners, posting of names on a perpetual plaque, and publicity on the DIR web site.
For older news, please visit the News Archive.