Have you ever found a website so incredibly helpful that you kicked yourself for not finding it sooner? This eureka moment is sure to hit when you check out the OITE Careers Blog. Stemming from an effort to boost communication with NIH trainees regarding OITE programs, Melanie V. Sinche, OITE Careers Blog author, Career Counselor, and Consultant welcomed the NIH community to the new Careers Blog in January 2010. Over the past year, the OITE staff has accumulated a wealth of useful posts, ranging from resume preparation to career selection.
To give you a taste of the blog, here are the top 10 posts of 2010 (ranked according to number of hits)
- Resumes and CVs: Tailor Made
- Link In or Miss Out: 10 Tips on Using LinkedIn Effectively for Your Job Search
- Finding the Perfect Postdoc
- Industry vs. Academia: Which is Right for You?
- Manage Your Time with a Tomato
- Who's Hiring Now? Check Out Regulatory Science
- Still Waiting for the Phone to Ring...
- Tomorrow's Professor: Preparing for the Academic Job Market
- Online Chat: "A Day in the Life of..." Career Options for Scientists
- The Postdoc Journey: A Developmental Approach to Independence
Perhaps the most valuable feature of this blog is the "A Day in the Life of..." series. Here, the OITE staff hosts a LIVE online interview with individuals from a variety of scientific careers. During the session, readers can send questions for the guest to answer real-time, and the entire transcript is posted on the site at the conclusion of the discussion. So far, the blog has hosted chats with a Public Health Analyst, an Assistant Vice President of Pfizer, an Editor-in-Chief of Scientific American, and a Senior Exhibit Developer at The Franklin Institute. The blog is currently polling readers for advice on whom they should chat with next. Stop by at http://oitecareersblog.wordpress.com/ and cast your vote! While you're there, take a look around...you never know what useful information you might find!