I hope this issue finds all fellows and families safe after the surprise earthquake and Hurricane Irene.
September promises to be an eventful month as well—the good kind. Just check out this month's events section to learn about numerous NICHD offerings, from teaching workshops to postdoc pizza parties. And, speaking of postdoc parties, let's not forget that National Postdoc Appreciation Week happens this month! So, postdocs, give yourselves a much-deserved pat on the back—and then get back to work (wink).
This month we present a nice collection of material to read while you're enjoying your last few weeks of warm summer sun. What you'll find:
- Our first "Letters to the Editor," offering enthusiastic praise for the "Writing your Grant Application" workshop recapped in the August issue
- A wonderful "Giving an Elevator Speech" workshop recap by Dr. Brenda Kostelecky, accompanied by a sample elevator speech recording by Dr. Mals Marriappan
- A profile of the new NICHD IC Basic Sciences Representative, Dr. Kevin Francis
- Answers to all of your questions about a career in science policy by Dr. Christine Torborg, NICHD former fellow
- And last but not least, a new "Hot Off the Press" column covering a fantastic intramural publication about a new candidate vaccine for Lyme disease.
On a final, and exciting, note, I think congratulations are in order for Dr. Constantine Stratakis, recently named permanent NICHD Intramural Scientific Director! This newsletter certainly would not be possible without his support.
Your Editor in Chief,
Shana R. Spindler, PhD
Questions, comments, or ideas can be sent to Shana.Spindler@gmail.com.