By Stephanie Cologna, PhD
The Fellows and the Office of Education held an open forum for all NICHD Fellows on February 12th to discuss current topics, events, and brainstorm about future activities. Here’s a list of highlights from the meeting.
- First, the NICHD Fellows’ Retreat is May 21, 2013, proposed to take place at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. Drs. John Bohannon and Shirley Tilghman are confirmed as our as speakers! There will be a strong focus on careers and this is a great time for you to network and learn more about what is going on in NICHD.
- The FARE website is now up! Submit your FARE abstract for a chance at a travel award. Don’t forget FARE abstracts have a different format; a tip sheet will be emailed. More info can be found at: https://www.training.nih.gov/felcom/fare
- Career Development: Check out myIDP (http://myidp.sciencecareers.org) to develop your own development plan (see article in this issue of the Connection).
- Public speaking and interview coaching sessions are available with Scott Morgan. Contact Brenda Hanning to coordinate a time to work with Scott.
- Upcoming events include a seminar on bioinformatics on March 21st as well as workshops for Fellows, workshops on cover letter and CV writing, and peer networking events in the summer.
We are always looking for fellows who want to get involved. If you are interested in helping out with any of the upcoming activities, or have any questions, please email Brenda Hanning (email@example.com).