By Suna Gulay, PhD
Dear NICHD fellows,
We start the year off with interesting opportunities, sure to help you in your career-related new year’s resolutions.
- Biomedical training and teaching: Check out the FAES Open House on Thursday, January 17 to find out about any classes you may want to take, to deepen your scientific knowledge or to explore different careers. Also, make sure to subscribe to Fellow-L listserv for any last-minute teaching opportunity announcements!
- Science writing: Have you heard of the “I am Intramural” blog? This is a blog largely maintained by intramural trainees that tackles topics ranging from exciting science news to NIH training experiences. For article ideas and writing opportunities on this blog and on the NIH Catalyst, please contact Craig Myrum, the current FelCom outreach officer.
- Leadership opportunities: The Visiting Fellows Committee (VFC) is looking for two co-chairs and a website administrator. The elections will be held on Wednesday, February 13 at 1 p.m. in Building 2, Room 2W15. If you want to learn more about any of these positions, please contact the current co-chairs Ulrike Böhm and Daphnée Villoing. Alternatively, you can join the next VFC meeting on Wednesday, January 9 at 1 p.m. in Building 2, Room 2W15. If you already know you want to serve in this active committee, please send a statement of interest to the co-chairs by 5 p.m. on Monday, February 11, along with:
- Name, position, field of research, country
- Contact information
- Institute, Division and Branch
- Intended length of stay within NIH
- Job search: Are you interested in international research and employment opportunities? Make sure to subscribe to VFC-L listserv and follow their “Science Voices from Home” events. The next two will feature Poland and Japan.
- Other career development: The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of the postdoctoral experience in the United States. NIH trainees have affiliate membership to this organization, as described in July’s Rep Report.
- 2019 NPA Annual Conference is set to take place in Orlando, Florida, April 12-14, 2019. The conference aims to bring postdoctoral scholars, administrators, faculty, and representatives from disciplinary societies, industry, and corporations together. It also features a career fair and excellent networking opportunities. If interested, early-bird registration is possible until Friday, January 11.
- The NPA is largely run by member volunteers, who are postdocs like us. They are currently seeking a motivated and committed leader to serve as the next co-chair of the Meetings Committee. If interested, please contact the current NPA Liaison of FelCom, Helena Farkasova.
- Social: Would you like to get to know other NIH postdoctoral trainees but keep missing the social activities? Join Bethesda Postdocs to learn about events taking place within the community and stay connected.
Have a happy and productive 2019!