By Anshika Jain, PhD
firstname.lastname@example.org!As the current NICHD Basic Sciences Institutes and Centers (IC) Representative, I represent NICHD postdoctoral fellows at the Fellows Committee (FelCom) meeting every month and share the latest news with you here. Do you have a concern or question that you want brought up at the next meeting? Contact me at
FelCom welcomes the newly elected Basic Science co-chair, Sara Young-Baird.
The Visiting Fellows Committee is seeking a new co-chair! Contact Vrushali Agashe (email@example.com) if you are interested. The committee also hosted an engaging and thought-provoking roundtable discussion on diversity and inclusion with Dr. Michael Sheridan, the OITE Special Advisor for Diversity and Wellness Programs.
The FARE committee announced the FARE 2020 awardees in mid-June. FARE awardees can contact their relevant IC coordinator to address any concerns in regard to how they can spend their awards (e.g. spending on non-travel research expenses).
The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) liaison announced various items for NPA members:
- NPA continues to update their COVID-19 resource page: https://www.nationalpostdoc.org/page/COVID19Resources. If you have resources you would like to share, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NPA is collecting online survey data about how NPA can address current issues postdocs face.
- You can upload your resume/CV to the NPA's Career Center for free!
- If you are interested in contributing to The POSTDOCket, consider becoming an ad hoc writer! Fill out the volunteer form at nationalpostdoc.org (you will need to log in).
- REMINDER: All NIH postdocs have a free NPA membership!
- Check out the POSTDOCket and the NPA community corner for current openings on various committees!
The Recreation and Welfare/Health and Wellness Committees liaison, Tiffany Zarrell, started two wellness channels on the Bethesda Postdocs group on Slack to discuss stress management, virtual workout activity scheduling, and other wellness-related items! Join using your non-NIH email at: https://join.slack.com/t/bethesdapostdocs/shared_invite/zt-gbki91kj-I8tVTcVTwDHiFTTApQTqlg.
Free “Fitness for You” classes offered by ORS, DATS, and R&W in August are available at https://www.facebook.com/NihRwFitness/videos/.
The Service and Outreach Subcommittee announced opportunities to volunteer with Raising Excitement for Science, Engineering and Technology (RESET), a nonprofit that delivers enriching and engaging STEM programming to pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade students. Please email Surangi Perera (email@example.com) if you are interested in creating hands-on experiments and activities for science classes.
Stay tuned for more information from the FelCom committee in next month’s newsletter.
Stay well and stay safe everyone!