We offer Dr. Yvette Pittman, Director of the NICHD Office of Education, a fond farewell as she continues her work in the intramural program at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Her accomplishments will leave an indelible mark on our training program.
During her time at the NICHD, Dr. Pittman spearheaded:
- The online Annual Progress Review (APR) system for fellows, launched in 2016, to track scientific and career progress
- The Intramural Research Fellowships (IRFs), our competitive internal funding opportunity for NICHD postdoctoral and clinical fellows
- DIR’s revised mentoring policy for tenure-track investigators
- An NICHD fellow alumni database
- A valuable list of organizations that accept grant applications from NIH intramural fellows
- The Three-Minute Talk (TmT) Awards Program for science communication
- The Fellows Recruitment Incentive Award (FRIA) program, which supports investigators exhibiting superior mentoring ability who recruit postdocs from populations traditionally underrepresented in science
As we wish Dr. Pittman the best of luck in her new endeavors, we welcome Dr. Erin Walsh as Acting Director to the NICHD Office of Education. Check back next month for a few words from Dr. Walsh!
To my NICHD family,
I cannot leave without sending you all a fond farewell. These seven years of working in the Office of Education have been a great learning experience, and I’m so grateful for the opportunity to serve such a wonderful group of scientists! I would like to express my gratitude for all of the support and guidance I’ve received throughout my tenure, from postdoctoral fellow to training director. I have had the opportunity to get to know so many of you. The time I have spent at NICHD will be cherished forever—working with you has been an absolute pleasure!
It has been an unforgettable ride, and I’ve met so many great colleagues and friends along the way!
As I start my new opportunity at NINDS, I hope that our paths will cross again in the future.
Sending a virtual hug to you all,