The 2023 Independent Research Scholars (IRS) program is now accepting applications, due March 1.
- The program supports early-stage postdoctoral fellows to transition to independent research positions.
- Participants will be given independent resources for lab personnel and supplies and will have the benefit of mentoring to assist with scientific and career development.
- Additional questions can be directed to Dr. Charles Dearolf, OIR Director of Program Development (firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information and application details, please review the Sourcebook.
FARE2024 is coming up! Abstract submission occurs Feb 15 to March 15.
- The Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE) recognizes the outstanding scientific research performed by intramural postdoctoral fellows.
- Winners of FARE awards will each receive a $1500 stipend to attend a scientific meeting at which they will present their abstract, either as a poster or an oral presentation.
The Health & Recreation Sub-Committee invites postdocs to join in an interactive virtual event, “Off the Clock,” featuring fun activities to help you get to know your NIH Postdoc colleagues. Grab your favorite post-work snack or beverage and join in this low-key opportunity to connect with others.
- The first meetup is on February 2 at 5:30 p.m. EST (virtual). Registered attendees will receive a fun mocktail recipe to enjoy during the event!
- If you are interested, complete the following Google form to receive calendar invites and email reminders.
Check out these additional events and community-building opportunities:
- Interested in Yoga? Visit the Bethesda Postdocs Slack #yoga channel for more information!
- Weekly Running Group – The Running Group meets outside Building 50 (near the canopy and outdoor tables) on the main Bethesda NIH campus. Runs are usually at 4 p.m. on Tuesdays and are organized via a separate Slack page. If you're interested, you can join here. All ability levels are welcome to join.
- Montgomery County, Maryland announces free recreation membership passes for county residents in 2023! The free pass provides access to fully-equipped exercise rooms, open gym activities, and game rooms at any Community Recreation Center during regularly scheduled hours.
The Service and Outreach Subcommittee invites you to a scheduled volunteer event at Manna Food Center on Saturday, February 11 from 10 a.m. to 12 noon.
- Volunteers will be sorting and packaging incoming food in their warehouse.
- The subcommittee is seeking about 15 volunteers (all volunteers must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and pre-registered).
- Email email@example.com, if you are interested.
The Women Scientist Advisors Committee (WSA) will be hosting the WSA Scholar Symposium on April 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The WSA Scholar Symposium highlights the outstanding scientific research performed by intramural women postdoctoral fellows and FARE award winners. More details to come.
National Postdoctoral Association (NPA)
- All NIH postdocs/fellows get NPA affiliate individual memberships for FREE! Join now!
- There are 28,500 jobs on the NPA Career Center. Upload your resume/CV for FREE!
- Introducing NPA SmartSkills: SmartSkills is a free, virtual course for postdocs who are members of the NPA. Monthly classes are taught by experts and focus on building skills critical to career and personal success.
- Upcoming SmartSkills: Industry (February 28 at 3 p.m.)
Did you know…
…that there are several ways to stay informed on postdoc activities and events?
- Fellows listserv is the main source of FelCom event advertisements, so don’t forget to sign up.
- Visiting fellows can also sign up for the Visiting Fellows listserv.
- There is an NIH postdoc Slack channel to connect with other postdocs and join social events (sign up with a non-NIH email).
Download a PDF of this edition here: