The molecular basis of vertebrate embryogenesis is being studied in zebrafish and Xenopus. Our current focus is on the developmental impact of the regulation of protein stability, and on the function of the BTB domain-containing proteins Kctd15a and Kctd15b in development. We have shown that the Lnx2 family of E3 ubiquitin ligases has a role in regulating axis specification in the early zebrafish embryo. Somewhat later in development, Lnx2 proteins regulate differentiation in the embryonic pancreas. Both of these effects are mediated by regulation of the stability of proteins involved in the developmental processes. A second area of interest is the role of the BTB domain-containing proteins Kctd15a and Kctd15b in development. We have shown that Kctd15 can inhibit the formation of the neural crest by interfering with the function of AP-2 transcription factors. The mechanism of this inhibition and additional functions of Kctd15 are currently under study.
Kim, M.H., Rebbert, M.L., Ro, H., Won, M., Dawid, I.B. (2014). Cell adhesion in zebrafish embryos is modulated by March 8. PLoS One. e94873; PMID: 24752240.
Zarelli, V.E., Dawid, I.B. (2013).The BTB-containing protein Kctd15 is SUMOylated in vivo. PLoS One. e75016. PMID: 24086424
Zarelli, V.E., Dawid, I.B. (2013). Inhibition of neural crest formation by Kctd15 involves regulation of transcription factor AP-2. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 110: 2870-2875; PMID: 23382213
Toyama, R., Kim, M.H., Rebbert, M.L., Gonzales, J., Burgess, H., Dawid, I.B. (2013). Habenular commissure formation in zebrafish is regulated by the pineal gland-specific gene unc119c. Dev. Dyn. 242: 1033–1042. PMID: 23749482
- Ro H, Dawid IB. 2011. Modulation of Tcf3 repressor complex composition regulates cdx4 expression in zebrafish. EMBO J. 30, 2894-907. PMID: 21666599
- Dutta, S., Dawid, I.B. (2010). Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta catenin signaling output. Development 137: 3013-3018. PMID: 20685732
- Tanegashima, K., Zhao, H., Rebbert, M.L., Dawid, I.B. (2009). Coordinate activation of the secretory pathway during notochord formation in the Xenopus embryo. Development, 136: 3543-3548. PMID: 19793890
- Ro, H., Dawid, I.B. (2009). Organizer restriction through modulation of Bozozok stability by the E3 ubiquitin ligase Lnx-like. Nature Cell Biol. 11: 1121-1127. PMID: 19668196
- Zhao, H., Tanegashima, K., Ro, H., Dawid, I.B. (2008). Lrig3 regulates neural crest formation in Xenopus by modulating Fgf and Wnt signaling pathways. Development, 135:1283-1293. PMID: 18287203