Professional Society Membership
Society for Neuroscience, The Endocrine Society, The American Society for Cell Biology, Women in Endocrinology
- 1988: Member of Advisory Board for CRC Press Series "Focus on Neuroendocrine and Autonomic Regulatory Systems
- 1993: Editor of a book entitled "Mechanisms of Intracellular Trafficking and Processing of Pro-proteins," Ed. Y.P. Loh, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- 1995: Associate Editor: Molecular and Cellular Neurosciences.
- 1997 — 2000: Editorial Board Member, Endocrinology.
- 1997 — present: Member of the Editorial Academy: International Journal of Molecular Medicine
- 2004 — present: Editorial Board Member, Journal Molecular Neuroscience
Honors and Awards
- 1971-1973: National Institutes of Health Predoctoral Fellowship
- 1974-1976: Fogarty International Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1978: Deutscher Academischer Austauschdienst Award
- 1985: Who is Who in the Frontiers of Science and Technology
- 1986: Pfizer Traveling Scientist
- 1989: Public Health Service "Superior Service Award"; Superior Achievement Award in recognition of promoting Asian Pacific Islander American Activities and the mission of the NIH EEO Program.
- 1994: EEO Special Achievement Award for outstanding contributions to career development of Women Scientists
- 1997: NICHD Staff recognition Award
- 1998: Asian Pacific American Organization Award for Outstanding Research.
Women in Endocrinology Mentor's Award for Outstanding Research and Mentoring, especially in promoting the careers of women scientists.
- 1999: NIH Director's Award
- 2000: FASEB Excellence in Science Award.
- 2001: NIH Director's Award for Mentoring.
- 2001: NICHD Staff Recognition Award
- 2002: NICHD Staff Recognition Award
Symposium/Meeting Chairmanships (Selected)
- 1998 — 2008: Organizer of the NIH-JHU Workshop on Protein Trafficking- Annapolis, MD.
- 2000: Organizer of the Satellite Symposium to the International Congress on Endocrinology: Cell Biology and Pathophysiology of Peptide Hormone Processing, Secretion and Action in Auckland, New Zealand
- 2004 — present: Co-organizer, Summer Neuropeptide Conference
Chairperson of Session, Gordon Research Conference on Proprotein Processing, Trafficking and Secretion.
Co-organizer and Chairperson of Symposium on Secretory Granule Biogenesis, 16th Conference of the
Federation of International Associations of Anatomists, Kyoto, Japan
- 2008: Program Committee Gordon Res Conf on 'Proprotein processing, trafficking & secretion'
- 2009: Session Organizer and Chairperson on 15th International Symposium on Molecular Medicine, Merida, Mexico
Adjunct Academic Appointments
- 1977 — 1982: Department of Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD - Visiting Lecturer and Ph.D. thesis supervisor
- 1980 — 1981: External Examiner: Dept. of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 1996: Corresponding External Examiner, University of Otaga, New Zealand
- 1998: External Examiner, University of Montreal, Canada
- 1990 — present: Adjunct Professor, Dept of Biochemistry, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
- 2005 — present: Advisory Board Member – Special Neuroscience Research Program, University of Hawaii
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Kim T, Tao-Cheng J H, Eiden L E and Loh Y P (2001) Chromogranin A, an "on/off switch controlling dense-core granule biogenesis. Cell 106:499-509.
- Dhanvantari S, Arnaoutova I, Snell C R, Steinbach P J, Hammond K, Caputo G A, London E and Loh Y P (2002) Carboxypeptidase E, a prohormone sorting receptor, is anchored to secretory granules via a C-terminal transmembrane insertion. Biochemistry 41:52-60
- Zhang C-F, Dhanvantari S, Lou H, and Loh Y P (2002) Sorting of CPE to the regulated secretory pathway requires interaction of its transmembrane domain with lipid rafts. Biochemistry 369:453-460.
- Arnaoutova I, Jackson C L, Al-Awar O S, Donaldson J G, and Loh Y P (2003) Recycling of raft-associated Carboxypeptidase E requires ARF6 interaction. Molecular Biolology of the Cell 14:4448-4457.
- Dhanvantari S, Shen F S, Adams T, Snell C R, Zhang C F, Mackin R B and Loh Y P (2003) Disruption of a receptor-mediated mechanism for intracellular sorting of proinsulin in familial hyperproinsulinemia. Mol. Endocrinology 17: 1856-1867.
- Arnaoutova I, Smith A M, Coates L C, Sharpe J, Dhanvantari S, Snell C R, Loh Y P and Birch N (2003) The prohormone processing enzyme, PC3, is a lipid-raft associated transmembrane protein. Biochemistry 42: 10445-10455.
- Assadi M, Sharpe J, Snell C and Loh Y P (2004) The C-terminus of Prohormone Convertase 2 is Sufficient and Necessary for Raft Association and Sorting to the Regulated Secretory Pathway. Biochemistry 43: 7798-7807.
- Cawley N X, Zhou J, Hill J, Abebe D, Romboz S, Yanik T, Rodriguiz R, Wetsel W and Loh Y P (2004) The Carboxypeptidase E Knockout Mouse Exhibits Endocrinological and Behavioral Deficits. Endocrinology 145:5807-5819.
- Wang J, Cawley N X, Voutetakis A, Rodriguez Y, Goldsmith C, Nieman L, Hoque S, Frank S, Snell C, Loh Y P and Baum B (2005) Partial re-direction of transgenic human growth hormone secretion from rat salivary glands. Human Gene Therapy 16:571-583.
- Lou H, Kim S-K, Zaitsev E, Snell C, Lu B and Loh Y P (2005) Sorting and Activity-Dependent Secretion of BDNF Require Interaction of Motif I16D18I105E106 with the Sorting Receptor, Carboxypeptidase E. Neuron 45:245-255.
- Zhu X, Wu K, Rife L, Cawley N, Brown B, Adams T, Teofilo K, Lillo C, Williams D, Loh Y P and Craft C (2005) Carobxypeptidase E is essential for normal synaptic transmission from photoreceptors to the inner retina. J Neurochem 95:1351-1362.
- Kim T and Loh Y P (2005) Chromogranin A: The surprise link between granule biogenesis and hypertension. J Clinical Investigation 115:1711-1713.
- Kim T and Loh Y P (2006) Protease Nexin-1 Promotes Secretory Granule Biogenesis by preventing granule protein degradation. Molecular Biology of the Cell 17:789-798.
- Yanik T, Dominguez G, Kuhar M, Miraglia Del Guidice E and Loh Y P (2006) The Leu34Phe pro-CART mutation leads to CART deficiency: A possible cause of obesity in humans. Endocrinology 147:39-43.
- Gondre-Lewis M, Petrache H, Wassif C, Harries D, Parsegian A, Porter F and Loh Y P (2006) Abnormal sterols cause secretory granule malformation in cholesterol deficiency diseases and decreased membrane curvature. J Cell Science 119:1876-1885.
- Kim T, Gondre-Lewis M, Arnaoutova I and Loh Y P (2006) Dense-core Secretory Granule Biogenesis. Physiology 21:124-131.
- Lou H, Smith A, Coates L, Loh YP and Birch N (2007) The transmembrane domain of the prohormone convertase PC3: A key motif for targeting to the regulated secretory pathway. Mol Cell Endocrinol 267:17-25.
- Arnaoutova I, Kim T, Patel N, Cawley N and Loh Y P. (2008) Aquaporin 1 is important for maintaining dense core granule biogenesis in endocrine cells. Mol Endo 22:1924-34.
- Park, J, Cawley N and Loh YP (2008) Carboxypeptidase E cytoplasmic tail – driven vesicle transport is key for activity-dependent secretion of peptide hormones. Mol Endo 22:989-1005.
- Park J and Loh Y P (2008) How peptide hormone vesicles are transported to the secretion site for exocytosis. Mol Endo 37(2): 151-9.
- Park J, Cawley NX and Loh YP (2008) A bi-directional carboxypeptidase E--driven transport mechanism controls BDNF vesicle homeostasis in hippocampal neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci 39:63-73.
- Woronowicz, A, Koshimizu, H, Chang, S-Y, Cawley, N, Hill, J, Rodriguiz, RM, Abebe, D, Dorfman, C, Senatorov, V, Zhou, A, Xiong, Z-G, Wetsel, WC and Loh, YP (2008). Absence of carboxypeptidase E leads to adult hippocampal neuronal degeneration and memory deficits. Hippocampus 18:1051-63.
- Woronowicz A, Cawley NX, Chang SY, Koshimizu H, Phillips AW, Xiong ZG, Loh YP (2009). Carboxypeptidase E knockout mice exhibit abnormal dendritic arborization and spine morphology in central nervous system neurons. J Neurosci Res 2010 Jan;88(1):64-72.
- Plum L, Lin H, Dutia R, Tanaka J, Aizawa K, Matsumoto M, Kim A, Cawley NX, Paik J, Loh YP, Depinho R, Wardlaw S and Accili D (2009). The obesity susceptibility gene Carboxypeptidase E links FoxO1 signaling in hypothalamic pro-opiomelanocortin neurons with regulation of food intake. Nature Medicine 2009 Oct;15(10):1195-201.
- Park J, Koshimizu H and Loh Y P (2009). Biogenesis and transport of secretory granules to release site in neuroendocrine cells. J Mol Neurosci 37(2): 151-59.
- Koshimizu H, Senatorov V, Loh YP, Gozes I (2009). Neuroprotection Protein and Carboxypeptidase E. J Mol Neurosci 2009 Jan 39(1-2):1-8.
- Zhang X, Zhu J, Loh YP, Berghman LR. [Carboxypeptidase E, an essential element of the regulated secretory pathway, is expressed and partially co-localized with chromogranin A in chicken thymus. Cell Tissue Res 2009 Sep;337(3):371-9.
- Koshimizu H, Kim T, Cawley NX, Loh YP. [Chromogranin A: A new proposal for trafficking, processing and induction of granule biogenesis. Regul Pept 2010 Feb 25;160(1-3):153-9.
- Lou H, Park JJ, Cawley NX, Sarcon A, Su L, Adams T, and Loh YP. Carboxypeptidase E Cytoplasmic Tail Mediates Localization of Synaptic Vesicles to the Pre-Active Zone in Hypothalamic Pre-Synaptic Terminals. J Neurochem. 2010 Aug;114(3):886-96. Epub 2010 May 18.
- Voutetakis, A. Cotrim, A.P., Rathod, T., Zheng, C., Yanik, T., Loh, Y.P., Baum, B.J., Cawley, N.X. Systemic delivery of bioactive glucagon-like peptide 1 following adenoviral mediated gene transfer in the murine salivary gland. Gene Therapy, Endocrinology. 2010 Sep;151(9):4566-72. Epub 2010 Jul 7.
- Murthy SR, Pacak K, Loh YP. Carboxypeptidase E: elevated expression correlated with tumor growth and metastasis in pheochromocytomas and other cancers. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2010 Nov;30(8):1377-81.
- Koshimizu H, Cawley NX, Yergy AL, Loh YP. Role of pGlu-Serpinin, a Novel Chromogranin A-Derived Peptide in Inhibition of Cell Death. J Mol Neurosci. 2011 May 3.
- Koshimizu H, Cawley NX, Kim T, Yergey AL, Loh YP. Serpinin: a novel chromogranin A-derived, secreted peptide up-regulates protease nexin-1 expression and granule biogenesis in endocrine cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2011 May;25(5):732-44.
- Cawley NX, Portela-Gomes G, Lou H, Loh YP. Yapsin 1 immunoreactivity in alpha-cells of human pancreatic islets: implications for the processing of human proglucagon by mammalian aspartic proteases. Endocrinol. 2011 Aug;210(2):181-7.
- Lee TK, Murthy SR, Cawley NX, Dhanvantari S, Hewitt SM, Lou H, Lau T, Ma S, Huynh T, Wesley RA, Ng IO, Pacak K, Poon RT, Loh YP. An N-terminal truncated carboxypeptidase E splice isoform induces tumor growth and is a biomarker for predicting future metastasis in human cancers. J Clin Invest. 2011 Mar 1;121(3):880-92.
- Park JJ, Gondré-Lewis MC, Eiden LE, Loh YP. A distinct trans-Golgi network subcompartment for sorting of synaptic and granule proteins in neurons and neuroendocrine cells. J Cell Sci. 2011 Mar 1;124(Pt 5):735-44.
- Bartolomucci A, Possenti R, Mahata SK, Fischer-Colbrie R, Loh YP, Salton SR. The Extended Granin Family: Structure, Function, and Biomedical Implications. Endocr Rev. 2011 Aug 23.
Recent Related Professional Activities
- International Member of the British Medical Research Council Advisory Committee; 1991
- Ad hoc member of Endocrinology Study Section, NIDDK; Feb. 1996, Oct 1996-Feb 1998, Oct 2001, Feb 2003.
- Abstract Review Committee, American Soc. Cell Biology; 1998, 2001
- Women in Endocrinology- "Online mentor"; 2003 — present
- Co-organizer: Protein Trafficking Interest Group, NIH; 1998 — present
- Grant Reviewer: National Science Foundation; Canadian National Research Council; Biotechnology
- Research Institute; DRG Special Review Sec. (N.I.H.)
- Editorial Reviewer: Journal of Biological Chemistry, Analytical Biochemistry, Endocrinology,
- Neuroendocrinology, Journal of Histochemistry, Journal of Clinical Investigations, Journal of
- Neurochemistry, Nature, International Journal of Peptide and Protein Research, FEBS Lett., The
- American Journal of Physiology, Molecular and Cellular Neurosciences., Nature Cell Biology, J. Cell
- Biology, Cell, European J. Biochemistry, J. Pharmacological Sciences, Endocrine.
- 1997 — present: NIH Academy Advisor and Preceptor
- 1998 — 2000: Loan Repayment Review Committee, NIH
- 1998 — present: Senior Biomedical Research Service Review Board
- 1998 — 2001: Howard Hughes Medical Scholar Program- Selection Committee Member and Student Advisor
- 1999: NICHD Scientific Director Search Committee
- 2002 — 2005: NIH Central Tenure Committee
- 2003 — 2006: Women in Endocrinology, Executive Officer
- 2003 — present: NICHD Title 42 Promotion Committee
- 2005 — present: Faculty member of Faculty 1000 biology, Endocrinology Section
Selected Invited Speaker at the following Institutions and Conferences from 2004
- 16th Conference of the Federation of International Associations of Anatomists, Kyoto, Japan
- Summer Neuropeptide Conference, Miami, FL
- Chromogranins in Health and Disease, Solden, Austria
- 13th International Conference on Chromaffin Cell Biology, Pucon, Chile
- Gordon Research Conference on Proprotein Processing and Secretion, NH
- Mt. Sinai Medical School, New York
- School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
- Dept. of Surgery, University of Hong Kong, China
- Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore
- Div of Medical Science, National Cancer Center, Singapore
- 14th International Conference on Chromaffin Cell Biology, Sestri Levante, Italy
- 10th International Symposium on Molecular Medicine, Athens, Greece
- Symposium on Signal Transduction in Health and Disease (STADY V), Tel Aviv, Israel
- Weizmann Institute, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 14th World Congress on Advances in Oncology, Loutraki, Greece
- 12th International Symposium on Molecular Medicine, Loutraki, Greece
- 15th International Symposium on Chromaffin Cell Biology, Merida, Mexico
Download Dr. Loh's biosketch