View a 508-compliant PDF of this issue here: NICHD_Connection_2010_12.pdf
On July 22, 2010, NIH Director Francis Collins, MD, PhD, announced the appointment of Alan Guttmacher, MD, as the NICHD Director. Constantine A. Stratakis, MD, D(med)Sci, continues to serve as the NICHD Acting Scientific Director, a position he has held since July 1, 2009.
NICHD Fellow Outreach
2010 marks the year of the first NICHD Fellows Committee—a group founded to organize networking opportunities and facilitate communication among fellows. The committee has planned new social events and released a novel NICHD newsletter by and for fellows. With the June inaugural issue of The NICHD Connection, fellows have been notified about upcoming seminars, fun events, and recent research in a convenient newsletter format.
Approximately 166 intramural articles were published from the NICHD in fiscal year 2010. That's a publication released almost every two days!
NICHD 2010 Fellow Accomplishment Highlights
- The NICHD had 19 FARE winners with 6 repeat recipients.
- Errett Hobbs, PhD, was awarded the Fellow Mentor of the Year.
- Angela Delaney, MD, received the Human Growth Foundation Award recognizing outstanding clinical and bench research that may lead to a better understanding of human growth.
- Melissa K. Crocker, MD, was awarded both the Obesity Society Travel Grant and the Endocrine Society Travel Grant.
- Miho Matsuda, PhD, secured the highly competitive K99 Pathway to Independence award, to be funded by NICHD.
- Yu Chen, PhD, earned the 2010 Intramural AIDS Fellowship.
- Emily King, PhD, was awarded the Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellowship to conduct research with the Applied Analysis Group at the University of Osnabrück and the Institute of Numerical Simulation at the University of Bonn.
NICHD 2010 P.I. Accomplishment Highlights
- Ramanujan “Manu” Hegde, MD, PhD, was named P.I. Mentor of the Year.
- Tamas Balla, MD, PhD, was elected to the Hungarian Academy of Science.
- Jeffrey Baron, MD, received the NIH Fellow Committee 2010 Distinguished Clinical Teacher Award.
- Peter Basser, PhD, was named a Fellow of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM).
- Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz, PhD, received the 2010 Pearse Prize from the Royal Microscopy Society.
- Leonid Margolis, PhD, was selected for the Annual Award of the 17th International Conference “HIV, Cancer, and Public Health.”
- Keiko Ozato, PhD, was granted Honorary Membership in the International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research.
- Karel Pacak, MD, PhD, DSc, received the Gold Jessenius Medal for advances in medical sciences, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Slovak Republic.
- Roberto Romero, MD, was awarded a Life Achievement Award for contributions to Reproductive Immunology by the American Society for Reproductive Immunology, the Blackwell Munksgaard Award in Reproductive Immunology, and a Distinguished Service Award, presented by the Wayne State University Dean of the School of Medicine.
- Stanko Stojilkovic, PhD, received a Doctor Honoris Causa from the University of Novi Sad.
- Stephen Suomi, PhD, was selected for the Distinguished Primatologist Award by the American Society of Primatology.
Congratulations to all of the NICHD fellows and PIs on their great accomplishments in 2010!
Download a PDF of this edition here: