TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 10 AM–12 NOON
Graphics Workshop: Creating and editing graphics for figures, diagrams and cartoons
- Building 31, Room 2A48
Have you ever struggled in producing graphics for use in a publication or presentation? This workshop will help you learn the ins and outs of working with graphic applications, from conceptualization through publishing. We will walk you through a tutorial using the basic editing tools in Illustrator and Photoshop and will provide an opportunity for you to work with your own material.
- Overview of the creation workflow
- Conceptualization (pencil and paper)
- Creating elements using shape and line tools in Illustrator (lines and fills)
- Working with points (add/subtract points on a line, join lines)
- Revolve, rotate and extrude shapes
- Creating perspective through transparency and size
- Vector to raster. How to export from Illustrator to Photoshop and manipulate in Photoshop
- Exporting graphics for publications
The remainder of the time will be used to work with participants' materials and address individual challenges.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2–4 PM
“Job Interviewing Skills” Workshop, for senior fellows
Will you be actively searching for employment this fall? Gain a competitive edge!
This workshop is designed to help scientists make a strong impression during a job interview. It focuses on identifying singular examples to help answer questions, and expected questions, themes, dilemmas and comportment will be analyzed though interactive exercises and peer review. Limited to 10 people and can include an one-one-one session with the instructor, Scott Morgan.
Please register with Yvette Pittman at email@example.com.